Monday, May 4, 2015

The End is Near

Sadly, all great things have to come to an end. Well this year's track season wasn't really what I would call great but it still has to come to an end too, and that end is coming this week. So you probably can't tell, but I'm not exactly in love with running (honestly I don't know how anyone could be), it is just something to keep me active and it gives me something to do.
When this track season started, I'm going to be honest; I wasn't very excited for it. I honestly couldn't wait for it to end. But even with all of the struggles I faced during the season, I believe that it wasn't a total waste of my time, because I came out a better person in the end.
One of the greatest struggles I faced this season was the high expectations from my coach. A few years ago my coach had really good track and cross country teams so the last couple of years have been rough on him, considering the team he has now doesn't quite measure up to that team from years before. We all work hard and do our best during practices and meets, but it never seems good enough because he is still comparing us to those runners from 2013. It has been a lot to handle, but ultimately, it encouraged me to try that much harder and it made me a better runner. I still don't believe that our team became as good as he was hoping, but the high expectations he placed on us definitely made us all better runners, and better people in the long-run (no pun intended).
The other thing that caused this track season to be more difficult and drag on longer than usual was the injury of one of my good friends. My running buddy that I have always stuck with in the past had a hip injury early in the season, causing her to be out for the majority of the season. Without her to talk to on long-runs and complain to on fast runs, the season seemed to drag on forever. However, I did become closer with other girls on the track team because of this, so even though I was upset about my friend's injury, it ended up to be not such a bad thing for myself after all.
So even though I faced many struggles this track season, and it was more difficult than usual to push through, I am sad to say that after this week it is over. I will miss my coach's lectures that just pushed me harder and the new friends that I made along the journey. You guys are great. I'm gonna miss it.

Word Count: 457

No comments:

Post a Comment