Monday, May 4, 2015

Start a Blog

So as you may know, or maybe you don't know, I started this blog for a language arts class. At first, I'll be honest; I wasn't very excited about it. The thought of having to write three blogs a week seemed unbearable when I could be outside or taking a nap or watching Netflix. But throughout this year I have learned a lot through blogging that I wouldn't have learned through any other way.
1. I learned how to create my own writing style. I can write the way I want, sometimes the way that I would talk in a real conversation and sometimes not. I use sarcasm because I am one of the most sarcastic people you will probably ever meet and I try to use puns if I happen to be feeling creative and genius that day. The point is, I can write however I feel like writing.
2. I learned about fitness. I know it may be a shock to you but I don't know everything there is to know about fitness. At the beginning of this year I actually knew close to nothing about fitness, other than the knowledge that I acquired through my own experiences or track and cross country. But as much as I dislike school a lot of the time, I actually love learning new things. So this was great.
3. I also motivated myself. Sometimes my blog posts that were meant to motivate others motivated myself as well. I started practicing what I preached and it really helped me as a runner. Because running is such a mental game, writing about it made me realize that I had never actually been trained in that area of fitness. I never learned how to be mentally tough. However through different blog posts and research, I really learned what mental toughness is all about. As my AP Psychology teacher would say, it's "doing your best when it matters most."
I never thought that starting a blog would be something that I would enjoy but it turned out that it advanced me both academically and physically. So what's the point here? Don't just read blogs, start a blog. You have no idea what it can do for you. It can change you as a person in the weirdest ways that you would never expect, and that's a pretty cool thing.

Word Count: 394

No comments:

Post a Comment